With the ever rising cost of living, there has never been a better time to start saving energy! Making small changes in your everyday routine will not only help you save money, you will also leave a positive impact on our environment.
Ways to conserve energy
- Replace old light bulbs with energy saving fluorescent
- Turn off all electronic devices that are not in use. Not only turn them off but try to remember to unplug them. You will be surprised how much you will save with this simple step!
- Close vents and doors in unused rooms. No need to cool or warm areas that people are not in.
- Wash clothes in cold water. Believe it or not cold water does clean, and many laundry soap manufacturers now offer soaps specifically made for washing clothes in cold water
- Repair or replace leaky faucets. A leaky faucet waste upwards of 30,000 gallons of water a year. Thats right, imagine what you would be saving with a quick fix!
- When shopping for new appliances invest in Energy Star. Energy Star appliances are not by any means cheap, but the upfront cost will pay for it self ten fold in the amount of energy you will be saving over time
- Turn your refrigerator down. Refrigerators account for about 20% of Household electricity use. Use a thermometer to set your refrigerator temperature as close to 37 degrees and your freezer as close to 3 degrees as possible. Make sure that its energy saver switch is turned on. Also, check the gaskets around your refrigerator/freezer doors to make sure they are clean and sealed tightly.
- Be careful not to overheat or over cool rooms. In the winter, set your thermostat at 68 degrees in daytime, and 55 degrees at night. In the summer, keep it at 78. Lowering your thermostat just two degrees during winter saves 6 percent of heating-related CO2 emissions. That's a reduction of 420 pounds of CO2 per year for a typical home.
- Use less hot water by installing low-flow shower heads
Addicted to Organization
Kitchen drawer organization
As i stay in rented place i myself have organized things on my own which are temporary by nature. You can call me organizing junkie. Previously when i was in India I used to work for HR & Admin department coz of that i begin to love organizing. I can organize any thing from Kitchen to Bathroom. If you see, organized place make things really easy not for us but for our family also and if you have children's m sure after watching this you will also start organizing things.
As i was not having divider for my kitchen drawer i have used shoe boxes for organizing all my spoons. Now i know where is my curry spoon and where are my thongs and i don't waste my time searching for things.
That's my husband's closet. First thing u need to do is color coordinate all the cloths then use hangers.
For Shirts i have used dark blue color hangers and for trousers i have used grey color. For organizing his closet i have hardly taken 10 mins. Now his closet looks great.
Organizing Scarves and Belts
And that's how i organize my scarves and belts. Scarves are in between the hanger and belts are hinging on the sides. Easy to use and does not occupy space.